Katie Jensen - Company Message

The Island
Conflict and Intimacy

Categories

Ask Katie
Conflict
Love
Love and Acceptance....go together.
Thanksgiving 2012
The first step to change....
Thought for the day
powered by

My Blog

The Island

There is a metaphor we use in our DBT groups, called the island. The island is basically a metaphor for disconnection. It is the physical and emotional act of  "not being present",  We can put ourselves "on the island" by being in our head, or getting drunk or buzzed, by isolating or by thinking that we have nothing in common with those around us. We can put ourselves "on the island" by thinking that others don't like us or love us. We can put ourselves on the island by judging ourselves for our clothes, our weight, our hair, our shoes, the food we brought. Being "on the island" is a form of self conciousness that prevents us from reaching out to others.

We put ourselves on the island often times as a learned behavior. Through criticism or projection, we have learned to focus on ourselves looking moment to moment to catch ourselves in the act of a mistake. We have learned to train our eyes for the thing that is "wrong" with us or with someone else. This act causes a disconnect with the present moment. It causes us to leave our own brain and begin skimming the brains of those around us...wondering if they are seeing our "wrongness" before we do. We must hurry to find it, before someone else points it out. In the end this is a coal fire of shame burning in the soul. The basic belief that on some level "there is something wrong with me", and I must maintain an appearance that all is well. This is a diconnect from authenticity from being connected and in the present. When we go to our heads with those thoughts about the outfit we have on, or the dish we brought wondering if it meets some magical standard, we are living in our heads, in a fairly land imagined, in a land of judgments and projects, an inaccurate map instead of the moment, the terrain of NOW!

This very map, that we use in our heads, the one that causes us to disconnect from the moment in self conciousness, is also the very same map that causes you to isolate or disconect from someone else. We are projecting that map, looking through that template all times. We are seeing what we think of ourselves on the great silk screen of life looking through our lens at the judgments we have learned through out life.

Most of the time, the folks who surround us at the holidays are not dangerous criminals out to harm us. They do not by fact, need to isolated on an island for the safety of all. Even the worst drunk, will likely do no more than yell, or cuss, or stumble. Maybe the worst drunk will say offensive things, but yet, we are all safe. No harm. No damage but for our own reactions. This is how we put others on the island. We think. We use those same judgments that haunt us to label others. Well, maybe two years ago that relative said something hurtful to me. We hold the resentment as if it is happening now. We forget that time has gone by that we have all changed, each moment of every day. As long as our map of judgments is unrevised, we will project the same old circumstance on that relative. And we will respond to the past instead of the NOW.

How we live the NOW fully present, changes the next moment.

May you find this moment, the moment between your map of the world and what is, may you find true peace and love in that layer of reality today!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Love you all!

19 Comments to The Island:

Comments RSS
lahasa tibet on Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:14 PM

Caloundra holiday accommodation on Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:24 PM
A very beautiful and nice blog written by you. What holidays are can be easily understood and can be easily enjoyed by reading this post.Thank you for sharing this..

Noosaville accommodation on Friday, January 17, 2014 2:41 AM
A very nice blog on holidays. Peoples by reading this can really enjoy their holidays a lot in the way they are meant to be enjoyed. Thanks for sharing it..

Fraser Island on Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:47 AM
From the word island we think that island is basically a metaphor for disconnection.We put ourselves on the island often times as a learned behavior. Through criticism or projection.You shared very true things with us.

replica breitling watches on Monday, September 16, 2013 12:39 AM
Thanks for your nice articles. I like it very much.

Airlie Beach accommodation on Monday, December 30, 2013 2:44 AM
I like your post so much and all the information, which is describing beautifully by you.Holiday means full of enjoyment and feel stress free thank you for sharing this post..

Port douglas romantic accommodation on Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:50 PM
Great post. I was checking constantly this blog, and I'm inspired! Extremely useful information, especially the closing part :) I take care of such information much and i think this p is perfect place for holidays. Thank you so much for this post..

Noosaville resorts on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:20 AM
A very nice blog which totally inspired me. It was like being lost in the words. A very deep article such that if read carefully will inspire you.Thank you so much for sharing it..

bubble necklaces with silver chain on Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:30 AM
Somebody essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I might state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular submit incredible. Excellent process!

essays on Friday, December 06, 2013 11:01 PM
This specific release could hardly become published any better! Understanding this specific submit tells me involving my own past place partner! He or she often stored discussing this. I'll ahead of time this specific release to him. Rather particular he can offer an excellent research. Appreciate revealing!

implant egypt on Monday, December 09, 2013 10:52 PM
I’m no fitness model, but I’m relatively built for my size, and this shirt is tight on me, but WAY too long. So who would this shirt fit? A very thin 5’10″ man. Is it unreasonable to think that a size medium should fit the average adult male, who is roughly 5’9″ and 180 lbs., rather than a 6’2″ guy with a model’s build?

http://grywam.com/stargames/ on Friday, February 14, 2014 1:57 PM
Best regards from UK

Republic Wireless Coupons on Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:50 AM
This post is related with what I’m concerned with and it’s fantastically made. Thanks very much for your hardworking.

ShopeCoupons on Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:59 PM
This very blog is definitely cool and factual. I have chosen helluva helpful tips out of it. I’d love to go back again soon. Thanks!

big face watches on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 8:24 PM
You raise a lot of questions in my head; you wrote an excellent post but it is also thought provoking and I will have to think about it a bit more; I will return soon

Rita on Thursday, May 05, 2016 3:26 PM
This particular discharge could scarcely get to be distributed any better! Understanding this particular submit lets me know including my own particular past spot accomplice! He or she frequently put away examining this. I'll early this particular discharge to him. Or maybe specific he can offer a magnificent exploration. Thanks!

longchamp le pliage on Friday, May 27, 2016 3:10 AM
And we will respond to the past instead of the NOW.

boxers calvin klein on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:43 AM
Carrying an epi boxers calvin klein pen is a great life saving tool.

rolex replica on Sunday, October 08, 2017 9:17 PM
Carrying an epi boxers calvin klein pen is a great life saving tool.